Thursday 21 May 2009

Time is up for Eammon


I have spent the day in the company of five times Parish Walk finisher Eammon Harkin (pictured above) today. We travelled together to a meeting at Manchester Airport and I warned him that, quite against the rules, I had already decided that (provided I am listed as a judge as usual) I may have to disqualify him in the event this year.
This predetermined course of action arises from a promise I made to him a few years ago. Apparently, I said that if he ever beat my time of 16.19 from 1978, I would make a comeback.
Well despite having surgery just a few months ago, there is a chance that Eammon could be on course to get there or thereabouts.
But do I want to make a comeback? No thanks! Besides, I have the website to attend to.
What Eammon hadn't realised was that he had given superficial evidence that his walking style is suspect. He told me how busy he had been in the past couple of weeks and added: "My feet haven't touched the ground since I came back from Ireland".

No comments: