Tuesday 12 May 2009

Best surface in event history

I saw the Isle of Man at its best last night when I went with Marie for a walk through Ballaglass Glen (or Mum's favourite glen as it was always called in our house).

I forgot to take my camera to capture the bluebells and the full colur of the glen. Or to photograph the wonderful surface of the road for the final three quarters of a mile before Parish Walkers rejoin the main road. I had meant to comment the last time I saw it to not the resurfacing.

We often speculate about how much harder it was for the walkers in the 60s and they would not have dreamt of such a smooth surface. Mind you, having spoken this morning with a five times finisher who walked over the course from Ramsey to Douglas at the weekend, I understand that some of the footpaths (out of Ramsey and the Dhoon to Laxey) are in a dreadful state and whereas in the old days walkers were able to walk well into the road, this is not always possible now.

No comments: