Wednesday 31 December 2008

Problem accessing files resolved

I noticed recently that the navigation files (the little icons on the bottom of each page on which you click to move to another page) were not working and I couldn't understand why. I tried reloading them without success.

I discovered yesterday that the same problem existed with all the files stored on the web server below the top level, ie files contained in different folders. For anyone completely non technical, this means that website pages, photos and even the entry forms were not available.

I contacted the host of the site at http://www.warewelchwebhosting.co.uk/ and within a few minutes received a reply. Whilst at first they said that the files were not there and I could not have loaded them (I have a few hundred witnesses who could testify that I did!), I eventually discovered that the attributes of the folders have been changed. So they were there it was just that nobody had the correct access to see them.

I have now corrected this problem so that the whole website should be visible again.

Whilst I swear that I did not change the settings and the host says that they did not change anything, the main thing was that I was able to resolve the problem fairly quickly.

http://www.warewelchwebhosting.co.uk/ are a pleasure to deal with and I would recommend them to anyone thinking of setting up a website. They are 100 times more efficient (and cheaper) than www.oneandone.co.uk where I host most of my other sites.

The other services I use for the complete service are provided by:

www.bravenet.com (forum and polls)

www.blogger.com (blogs - owned by Google)

www.youtube.com (also owned by Google)

www.fotopic.net

I have a subscription for the forum and for the photos but the other services are free. Its quite amazing the value we get from the internet.

No comments: