Sunday 10 May 2009

Record Holder to miss Parish Walk

When I was tracking the entries yesterday morning I couldn't help notice that record holder Sean Hands was missing from the list although I have seen him out training a few times.

So I telephoned him to try avoid speculation. I left a message on his answerphone and he kindly returned my call later in the day.

He confirmed that he will not be taking part.

He has had further injury problems since last year and, although he kept his options open until quite late, he didn't want to risk a third retirement in a row.

After a fantastic year in 2006 when he set the Parish Walk record and retained the National 100 Miles title, Sean admitted that he did not prepare so well for the defence of his title. But he ended up walking at the front of the field with Robbie Callister, where he was expected to be seen. As a result he retired.

Last year was completely different. He was in even better shape than in 2006 and after I interviewed him the week before the Parish I thought that another record was possible. As he took a minute a mile out of the field going over the Sloc I thought that this was a sign of this. But of course it was far too quick and the effort required to walk at that speed in those conditions aggravated his injuries too.

He made some amends later in the year with victory in the End to End Walk and it is to that event that he will now turn his attention.

But first that most modest of sportsman will be lining up at the start of the Parish Walk - to help with the marshaling!

No comments: